Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Conference for Writers


The Historical Novel Society holds wonderful conferences, and not only for writers. I met readers at the 2009 conference in Illinois, devoted fans of historical fiction. It’s a real treat to go somewhere with historical fiction lovers—like a great big wine-and-chocolate-covered- strawberries party, where the talk centers around carriages and corsets and kings. The conference alternates between the U.S. and the UK, but this year I’ve seen nothing posted about one in the UK, so when I saw a message on the HNS digest about a writers’ conference in York, I followed the link HERE to see what it was. It looks really interesting and is held at the University of York, two hours by train from London. I’m thinking seriously about going. If any readers of the blog are interested, drop me a line at: joyce (at) joycemoorebooks(dot)com.
In the next several weeks we’ll be having some fabulous guests here on historical hussies who write historicals set in the Middle Ages, so keep checking back for more information and some great prizes.

6 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Joyce,
That sounds like an interesting conference. Being an historical writer, I'd love to be able to attend but it is too far to travel from Australia.

Regards
Margaret

Joyce Moore said...

Margaret: I sure relate to that. I'm across the pond. I wanted to go but now there's another conference close that wants me to do a workshop so I'm thinking that's what I should do. Would save a lot of euros (grin). Thanks for stopping by. Beautiful cover on your book, BTW.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Joyce you are lucky to have a second opportunity, and to be invited to do a work shop wow.. I was in England last year, I have a son living in London, so I won't be able to get back for a couple of years, the piggy bank is just about empty. Need a huge royality cheque, then I would be over in a flash.
Regards
Margaret
Margaret

Amy DeTrempe said...

Wish I could go, but it is not possible. I just wish I would have known about the Illinois conference. I live in Illinois and that would have been so doable. I need to start paying better attention to what conferences are offered for historical romance writers.

Joyce Elson Moore said...

Margaret: I can sure relate to the piggy bank concern. I've been to other European countries but never to the UK. Now I understnad the Historical Novel Soceity is having a conference in Manchester in October. Sure hope I can go.

Joyce Elson Moore said...

Amy: O'mygosh, you were right there. So sorry you missed it. I really think every historical writer would do well to join HNS. Their magazines have terrific articles about historicals, great interviews, and reviews of historicals by period. It's www.historicalnovelsociety.org if you want to go look.