Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2020

Riding Side-Saddle

Last August, I had the opportunity to ride side-saddle at Firefly Equestion in Utah. I've ridden astride a handful of time prior to this experience, which certainly helped, but in no way do I consider myself an experienced rider.

Firefly had two different types of side saddles--a Western, which has a lip that curved up at the back of the seat (the cantle) and an English, which doesn't curve. Both saddles had two pommels, or leaping horns, on the left side and a single stirrup.

Fun fact: the leaping pommel wasn't added until the mid-1830s. This addition increased security for the lady when she galloped or jumped. Prior to that time, the lady had to be a very skilled rider and exercise caution when jumping or riding at faster speeds.

When mounting my horse, I used a tall mounting block. My left foot went into the stirrup and my right leg swung over the far side of the horse as if I were going to ride astride. Once my rear was in the saddle and my left thigh was tucked up into the lower pommel, I swung my right leg back over the horse and placed it in the upper pommel. If I had been sitting in a chair, it felt like I had frozen in the middle of crossing my legs with the middle of my right calf hovering just in front of my left knee. The top pommel cupped my leg just behind my knee.

It's important to note that my hips were parallel with the horse's back, my shoulders back, and my rear as far back in the saddle as I could sit the entire time. (The lip in the Western side saddle would have been very helpful in this instance, if only to indicate where I was in relation to the edge of the saddle.) This position, as much for the horse's comfort as my own safety, distributed my weight more evenly across the horse's back and kept my balance centered on the horse instead of leaning toward one side or the other.

Once I was situated in the saddle, my riding instructor handed me a short riding crop which I held in my right hand. My hands went over the top of the reins instead of under. (Imagine you were forcing open an elevator door.)

Instead of squeezing my legs to start moving like I would if I were astride, I nudged the horse with my left leg and tapped his shoulder with the crop.

We started off with a walk while I adjusted to this style. Honestly, the hardest part for me was keeping my back and shoulders straight. I imagine that for Victorians, this was not nearly as difficult as it is for modern Americans. I also had a tendency to shove my foot forward in the stirrup instead of leaving the ball of my foot on the bar.

Once I was comfortable with a walk, we increased speed to a trot. This is where I really had a difficult time. Where a walk is a smooth motion, the trot is a lot bouncier and I, in my silky athletic pants instead of a natural-fiber riding habit, had a hard time staying back in the saddle. Every time I slid forward or off toward one of the sides, my horse would slow down. (I guarantee I would have ended up on the ground if it weren't for his good training.)

Unfortunately, my lesson ended at this point.

I was surprised at how much of a difference the correct posture made, but I would try it again in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

As claimed by Stanford Medical, It is really the one and ONLY reason this country's women get to live 10 years more and weigh 19 kilos less than us.

(By the way, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret-exercise and EVERYTHING to do with "how" they are eating.)

P.S, What I said is "HOW", and not "WHAT"...

TAP this link to discover if this easy test can help you release your real weight loss possibility

Michael DeBruin said...

My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341