Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Unmentionables: A Brief History of Underwear by Jenna Jaxon

Underwear, garments worn underneath outer garments, has been in existence for thousands of years. The first form was the simple loincloth that covered men’s genitals, in evidence 7,000 years ago. In fact, more than this simple undergarment was deemed unnecessary by most people until the Middle Ages.
By the Medieval period, men’s clothing had changed and men acquired several new undergarments. Braies were a loose fitting pant-like garment that men stepped into, then tied at the waist and around the calves. Wealthier men wore chausses, worn only on the legs and again tied at the waist. These were eventually replaced by hose that in the Renaissance were adorned with a codpiece, a pouch covering the genitals that was also meant to accentuate that area. What we would deem women’s underwear does not come on the scene until the Renaissance. Previously women would have worn a chemise,
a shirt-like garment made of linen worn next to the skin that could be laundered easier than the costly silk and velvet outer garments. At this time women also acquired stays, a garment of linen stiffened with buckram, whalebone, reeds or canes that flattened their breasts.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, stays changed to be more lightly boned and were called corsets. In the Regency period they were more relaxed, less constricting. By the Victorian era, when a wasp waist was the cornerstone of beauty, they became extremely constrictive. Corsets remained the major women’s undergarment until the 20th century when the liberty bodice gave them more freedom. In the 19th century, women also acquired pantalettes or pantaloons, crotchless underwear designed to hide the legs and provide
warmth under the huge bell-shaped gowns of the period. The modern brassiere was invented in 1913 by Mary Phelps Jacob and caught on during World War I when metal for boning corsets was in short supply.
Men and women’s underwear changed constantly during the 20th century as the garments became increasingly more comfortable due to new fabrics. Modern underwear came about largely in the 1930s. Men’s briefs and boxer shorts, women’s girdle and bra all became popular in the 30s. By the 1960s and 70s underwear was touted for its sex appeal rather than its durability. Current popular items include the G-string and thong for women and boxer briefs for men.

4 comments:

STEPHANIE JANET said...

My name is Stephanie Janet .This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help PRIEST OSAS has rendered to me by helping me get my ex husband back with his magic and love spell. i was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across PRIEST OSAS email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. I explained my situation to him and then sought his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here I am now celebrating because my Husband has changed totally for good. He always wants to be by me and can not do anything without my present. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will keep on testifying on the internet because PRIEST OSAS  is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT PRIEST OSAS NOW VIA EMAIL:Unsurpassed.solution@gmail.com or call WhatsApp +1(419)359-4367  He is the only answer to your problem and make you feel happy in your relationship
https://unsurpassedsolution.blogspot.com/

loved said...

My wife was flirting with another man. until she vanished away, I was desperate to get her back, I wasted so much time and money trying to get my wife back, I tried almost all possibilities to have her back and nothing worked. I became lonely. To make it short, I found a spell caster, Dr love. I saw the good testimonies about his wonderful work and after reading the Testimonials, I decided I had to try and give it one last try and After the spells, a miracle happened, my wife came home. It was awesome, anyone who needs help, should email him: drlovetemple@gmail.com WhatsApp/Call him on +2347010538590

Eva helen said...

HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK & HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK MY TRUE LIFE STORY HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK.I  want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband  treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then he told me to contact: dromokpo@gmail.com that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man.Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and i forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship stress or  broken marriage situation  and you want your Ex lover,  Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com 

CECILLIA HILLS said...

I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called LORD ZULU and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, LORD ZULU is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
CONTACT ON WHATSAPP +1909 7814612.


I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called LORD ZULU and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, LORD ZULU is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
CONTACT ON WHATSAPP +1909 7814612.


I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called LORD ZULU and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, LORD ZULU is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
CONTACT ON WHATSAPP +1909 7814612.