Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Britain's Top 10 Castles

Can you guess which castle British Heritage selected as the number one castle in the country?
Sadly for me, it's not one I've been to. It's Corfe in Dorset. The "ruin" dates to the 11th century.

 

I can't imagine it besting Tintagle, a magnificent Arthurian ruin on Cornwall's rocky north coast (see in photo directly above). The Ten Best Castles in Britain were selected by the editors of British Heritage.

 

Three of the Top 10 I've toured – and loved: Arundel in West Sussex (above, top), coming in third; Dover Castle, at fifth; and Kent's Hever Castle (above, bottom), called the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, at tenth.

 

I've done a drive-by of two others: Stirling in Scotland, fourth; and Warwick Castle, which was selected eighth.

 

Rounding out the list were Conwy Castle in North Wales, second; Caerphilly Castle, also in Wales, at sixth; Alnwick in Northumberland, which celebrated 700 years as home of the Percy family, seventh; and Scotland's Blair Castle at ninth. -- By Cheryl Bolen, author of Falling for Frederick, a Stately Homes Murder

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the second one. In England, the only ones I've been to are two in Norfolk, Leeds, Dover, and Hampton Court.

Vicky Dreiling said...

I've been to Windsor and Warwick. Warwick castle was so fun - they had it set up like a Victorian House Party at the time - 2008.

Cheryl Bolen said...

I love Leeds, Ella. It's so lovely there. And Dover is so vast and so rich with history, right up to WW II.

Cassandra Samuels said...

I've been to Corfe and it is wonderful. Although it is a ruin there is something special about it. I've also been to Warrick Castle which is brilliant with lots to do and see. Blarney was also great,Cahir castle in Ireland is also lovely.

Unknown said...

Ive been to warwick and it was a hoot. Ill admit being amazed we wrre allowd to go up into guys tower etc. A classic castle if there is one i would recommend vit but tell that pasty faced thickly padded girl that works in the gift shop not to kake funbof texan accents webcant help it thats just the way we talk.

Storage beds said...

I love the second one. In England