Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Non-Alcoholic Christmas Pudding, An Almost Authentic Regency Dessert

I am at the absolute most amazing place in the world. It's just a lakehouse, at the northern corner of Utah, but the people I am with are some of my favorite people in the world. I am at writing retreat with my critique group, four other amazing women (and a baby) who write Regency romance.

One of these women is an expert Regency researcher, and incredibly talented to boot, and last night (when I should've posted this) she recreated several Regency dishes for us.

For dessert, she made one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten - a recreation of a Regency Christmas Pudding.

First, for those newest to the concept, it is not a pudding in the way Americans now think of pudding. There is no J-ELLO involved.

First, I must give full credit to the person who took this recipe and made it her own, Arlem Hawks. If you want to follow her on Instagram, she does so many amazing things - sews Regency dresses, celebrates British holidays with her family, paints, and bakes French and English cuisine.


Isn't it the most lovely thing you've ever seen? Those are sugared cranberries on top. She SOAKED them in sugar syrup for almost 24 hours and they were delicious. 

On to the recipe - which you can make in an Instapot, believe it or not!

Ingredients:
2/3 cups breadcrumbs
1/4 cup + 3 tsp self-rising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of cinnamon 
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup golden raisins
2 Tbl apricots, dried
2 Tbl almonds
1 Small apple
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
2 eggs
1/4 cup ginger ale
1 Tble orange juice
Butter to grease the pan

Orange Sauce Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice

Mix dry ingredients, dried fruit, nuts, apple, zest.

In another bowl, combine eggs, ginger ale, orange juice, and whisk everything together. 

Fold together. Cover and chill overnight. 

Next day, butter your pan! Press pudding in, cover with parchment and foil, tie with a baking string. 

Steam in your instapot for 15 minutes - NOT pressure cook! Then steam on low pressure for 1 hour. 

Steam 30 minutes before serving. :-) 

Combine orange sauce ingredients in sauce pan, melt everything together on low heat. Then drizzle over individual servings of pudding. 

This recipe served five hungry authors, with a nice big piece left over. 

Again, this recipe was created by Arlem Hawks, who everyone should keep an eye on. 


I'm Sally Britton, and my Regency novels are so much fun. Please check them out - they're all stand-alone romances and you can find them here!

2 comments:

Michael DeBruin said...

My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

Anonymous said...

What else can I use to cook the pudding if I don’t have instapot?